Oakland residents are granted preference in the OSA lottery. All students receiving Oakland Resident preference must verify their residence at the time of application (3 documents are required. See examples below.) Additional documents may be requested to ensure accuracy. A student's residence is presumed to be the legal residence of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who have custody of the child, continually reside in Oakland and is at his/her stated address when not working or in school. There can only be one legal residence for the child. P.O. Boxes, workplace addresses or businesses do not constitute legal residences, regardless of ownership.
- A utility bill dated within 45 days: PG&E, EBMUD, Land telephone line, Cable/Satellite TV bill, Garbage bill
- In combination only: automobile registration and automobile insurance. These documents must be provided together
- Homeowner's/renter's insurance policy
- Lease agreement with owner's documentation
- Property tax statement: Current property tax bill from Alameda County Tax Assessor' Office.
- Official letter from a social services/government agency dated within 45 days
- OSA reserves the right to request additional proof of residency, if needed to support placement based on OUSD enrollment policies.
If residency status is found to have been stated erroneously, the preference will be rescinded and any applicants who have been offered placement will instead be placed on the waitlist.