The Application Period for the 2019-20 School Year is Now Closed.
Oakland School for the Arts is a free, public school chartered by Oakland Unified School District. OSA does not discriminate in admissions on the basis of race, color, creed, disability, learning differences, ethnicity, national origin, gender/gender identity, home language, sexual orientation, religious or spiritual practice.
Each year, OSA hosts two audition dates for all those who have applied by our deadline. Applicants may audition for one or two arts programs. The audition is designed to identify students with demonstrated interest, aptitude and potential in one of ten art programs. The audition only evaluates artistic skill & potential; academic grades are not a factor. Applicants are evaluated based on a standard for each art program. Applicants are never evaluated against each other. Letters of recommendation are not accepted. Please read the Enrollment Process
for more information.
OSA often has more applicants than available seats. When the number of applicants in a particular program exceeds the available seats at grade level, the students are selected based on OSA's enrollment lottery. Selection of students who are invited to enroll is determined by the lottery; no other factors are considered.
Auditions for the 2020-21 academic year will take place on January 11, 2020 and February 8, 2020 for those who have submitted an application by the December 13, 2019 deadline.
Audition appointment times will be mailed in advance to those who have submitted an application during the Application Submission Window of October 1, 2019- December 13, 2019.
Lottery Date for 2020-21 Applicants
- February 28, 2020, 5:00 PM
OSA Student Center, Main Campus
Tentative Date to Mail Results for 2019-20 Auditions
- Results will be mailed out the first week of March 2020.
Campus Tours & Open House Events
- Due to space limitations, tours are offered to Oakland elementary schools that are part of our recruiting program. We only work with school administration in scheduling these tours.
- OSA offers two informational Open Houses. Reservations are required for all Open Houses, and the total number of attendees per family is limited to two. Please do not show up without making a reservation, as we will not be able to accommodate you. Due to the high level of interest in OSA, we are only able to offer Open House spots to students and parents/guardians who are currently in 5th-11th grade.
- Our first Open House is on November 12 from 6:00-8:00 PM.
- Our second Open House is on December 12th from 6:00 - 8:00 PM.