The Application Period for the 2019-20 School Year is Now Closed.
Oakland School for the Arts is a free, public school chartered by Oakland Unified School District. OSA does not discriminate in admissions on the basis of race, color, creed, disability, learning differences, ethnicity, national origin, gender/gender identity, home language, sexual orientation, religious or spiritual practice.
Each year, OSA hosts two audition dates for all those who have applied by our deadline. Applicants may audition for one or two arts programs. The audition is designed to identify students with demonstrated interest, aptitude and potential in one of ten art programs. The audition only evaluates artistic skill & potential; academic grades are not a factor. Applicants are evaluated based on a standard for each art program. Applicants are never evaluated against each other. Letters of recommendation are not accepted. Please read the Enrollment Process
for more information.
OSA often has more applicants than available seats. When the number of applicants in a particular program exceeds the available seats at grade level, the students are selected based on OSA's enrollment lottery. Selection of students who are invited to enroll is determined by the lottery; no other factors are considered.
Audition Dates for the 2020-21 academic year will be announced.
Lottery Date for 2019-20 Applicants (This event has passed)
- Thursday, February 21, 2019, 6:00 PM
OSA Student Center, Main Campus
Tentative Date to Mail Results for 2018-19 Auditions
- Results will be mailed out the week of March 4, 2019 (tentative).
- December 13 at 6:00 pm - (This event has passed)
We conduct one Open House program for applicants and their parents. Parents will find out more about our enrollment process and requirements. The Open House will start with a presentation of OSA's unique arts and academic curriculum.
- Tours take place once a month on Thursdays at 2:00 pm by reservation only and spots are first-come, first-served. Our campus visit program lasts approximately two hours, and features a parent officer-led information session. We welcome students and parents to join us. Reservations are required for all Campus Tours, and the total number of attendees per family is limited to two. Please do not show up without making a reservation, as we will not be able to accommodate you. Due to the high level of interest in OSA, we are only able to offer tour slots to students and parents/guardians who are currently in 5th-11th grade.
- Tour dates for Fall 2019 will be announced.